Things Writers Should Keep In Mind
Today, in this piece of article, the topic of discussion is something that can get one’s website red-flagged from Google.
If students are coming up with duplicate content in their research papers then they have to pay a serious penalty that can even end up losing an academic year.
Students and Writers should maintain Ethical Integrity While Penning Down Their
But before getting started with the topic itself, it is essential to talk about something else. What that is? That’s academic integrity. Academic integrity originates from following five fundamental values:
Of course, paid and free plagiarism checkers for teachers, and other professionals are there, it’s better to avoid them. Instead of later removing them, thus, affecting the quality of the write-up or the academic papers.
What are some of the definite models of Plagiarism? There are some definite models of plagiarism.
- Buying works from someone else and claims the credit for it.
- Copying contents from the internet entirely or in parts and after that using it in projects.
- Copying from others’ works with or without their knowledge.
- Using article rewriter tools online after copying content to get the rephrased version of it.
But there are also more airy forms too. And those are trickier to identify. In these circumstances, a writer might not even be aware that he or she is committing an act of plagiarism. This kind of plagiarism occurs when one indulges himself into the following practices:
– Citation Is Important To Avoid Plagiarism
– Quoting someone else’s exact wordings without the proper use of quotation marks or citations.
– Quoting more than 40 words in one shot even with proper citation.
– Paraphrasing someone’s work without giving any sort of reference to them.
– Reusing portions from his or her previous works without referencing.
– Using ideas from someone’s lecture, without proper reference.
Now when one knows what plagiarism is, it is easier to understand which practices to duck to avoid plagiarism.
Are there numerous Plagiarism Detection Methods?
Yes, there are numerous different methods of plagiarism and the compare tools or duplicate content checkers for use one of these methods for detecting copied content.
There are Various Plagiarism Detection Methods
What is the fingerprint method? Fingerprinting is currently the most widely implemented method to be applied for copied content detection. In this method, there are unique representative abridgments of files where there has been the selection of a set of multiple substrings (n-grams)among them. The unique sets represent the fingerprints of a particular piece of content. And their elements are called minutiae. A piece of article which is a subject of plagiarism evaluation is checked by computing its fingerprint and scanning for the exact match for the given content’s minutiae. The minutiae are then matched with a pre-computed index of fingerprints for all documents. If there is an exact match for the set of substrings with previously existing content, then that portion of the given content is plagiarized. Yes, this is a complicated method.
2. Bag of words
The bag of words method is also known as the Vector Space Model. The idea behind the bag of word algorithm is comparatively easier to understand. Even if someone heavily paraphrases a copied content, there can still be a use of a bunch of words and phrases that are similar to the original content. Therefore the Vector space model uses the method of detection by scanning for the use of similar words in similar spots of any suspicious content and the database of existing contents.
Stylometry is the method where the main focus is on the precise and unique writing style of each writer. The algorithm is also known as cognitive fingerprints. This algorithm can be relatively less effective in detecting plagiarism. Though it is useful for detecting heavy paraphrasing.
4. Citation analysis
Citation-analysis (CBPD is based on quotation evaluation) is the only technique in the arsenal of plagiarism detection that does not depend on the textual similarity. CBPD examines the citation and reference records in texts to identify comparable patterns in the quotation sequences. This system operates even if the content is wholly reworked (and only the idea is copied). Furthermore, it can also detect translated plagiarism. However, it can only work on a document with citations, not on books, blog posts, and others.
5. String matching
The concept is surprisingly simple. This algorithm uses a string of texts from a given content. Usually, the strings of texts contain a few words, while at other times; it may contain dozen or more words. It is the process of matching those particular strings of words with other existing contents on record. It keeps repeating the process for the entirety of the given document in search of copied elements. How can anyone detect plagiarism? Google has a zero-tolerance policy on duplicate or plagiarized content. How to detect plagiarism? It is way easier than it seems. One can detect plagiarism with tools such as Copyleaks online plagiarism checker.
Paid or Free Online Plagiarism Checkers Help In Detecting Duplicate Content
The different plagiarism software is handy for those who are looking for an online plagiarism checker with percentages.
First of all, plagiarism can be intentional or unintentional; therefore, one should know the steps to avoid plagiarism. Anyone write like a pro without being an information thief if s/he obeys these following steps.
- Firstly, the author has to have an original idea, to begin with. Quotes and other materials (with proper citation) can play supporting roles to complement the original point.
- Beginning with a well-planned format of the project is highly recommended. According to experts, if someone has a formatting idea of his/her own, it chops off a good chunk of the possible unintentional plagiarism.
- Any class of writers must include a reference for any sources they quote or paraphrase. And they should certainly not quote more than 40 words.
- A writer must also follow proper referencing techniques.
- The more a writer researches, the more original ideas generate. And the more original ideas one has, the less he or she has to room for plagiarism.
- Moreover, a writer or a student must be masterful in time management. Time management directly impacts the originality of the paper.
A concluding note
It is the end of this article covering all bases regarding the given topic. This article was about the proper definition of plagiarism, the methods that can detect it as well as the steps of preventing it.
If anyone follows these steps, sincerely, there’s no way he or she can end up with even 1% plagiarism on his or her work.
In short, the citation is the key.