Give us feedbackX

Financial assistance in a disaster

After a disaster, the provincial government may declare the event eligible for Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA). Once declared, the DFA program may compensate applicants for essential uninsurable losses.

Watch the DFA video on YouTube for clear instructions on how to apply and eligibility.

Step 1: Eligible events

If you've recently experienced a disaster, and it's not on the eligible events list, contact your Indigenous or local government first.

DFA event details

Geographic area (subject to change)

All indigenous communities, electoral areas and municipalities within geographic bounds noted in yellow on the map below. The span of this event includes areas in the Vancouver Island, Northwest, Southwest, Central, and Southeast areas of the province.

Type of event

Overland flooding

Date of event

November 14 to December 2, 2021

90-day deadline for applications

March 3, 2022

Step 2: Review eligible expenses

Financial assistance is meant to compensate for sudden, unexpected, and uninsurable losses. 

Eligible damage

Applicants can apply to more than one category.

Homeowners and residential tenants

  • You must occupy the property as your principal residence
  • Seasonal or recreational properties aren’t eligible
  • If you are a landlord, you must apply and qualify as a small business owner

Charitable organizations

  • Must provide a benefit or service to the community
  • Must be registered under the provincial Societies Act

Small business owners

Your business must:

  • Be managed by the owner on a day-to-day basis
  • Be the means by which the owner obtains the majority of their income
  • Have gross sales less than $1 million per year
  • Employ fewer than 50 employees at one time

Farm owners

Your farm must:

  • Be identified as a developing or established agricultural operation
  • Be owned and operated by a person whose full-time employment is a farmer 
  • Be the means by which the owner derives the majority of their income 

If a farm operation is incorporated, the small business eligibility criteria applies.

Ineligible damage

Insurable damages in the private sector aren’t eligible.

This includes damage caused by:

  • Wildfires 
  • Earthquakes
  • Snow load
  • Wind storms
  • Sewer or sump pit back-up
  • Water entry from above ground

Some ineligible items include:

  • Insurance deductibles
  • Non-essential and recreational items
  • Land lost due to erosion
  • Landscaping

For full details, refer to the schedules below.

Determining if your damages are insurable or uninsurable

You are strongly encouraged to contact the program to discuss your insurance situation or if you have questions.

How compensation is calculated

Financial assistance is provided for each accepted claim at 80 percent of the amount of total eligible damage less $1,000, to a maximum of $300,000.

Eligible essential contents are compensated based on median value of the base model item. For example, a damaged TV would be compensated based on the value of a median priced base model TV regardless of the type or quality the applicant owned.

Structural compensation is limited to the cost to repair eligible damage caused by the event, using standard industry rates for things like drywall repair, debris removal, carpet removal and replacement.

Detailed information on expenses and program guidelines

Step 3: Submit application


  • Applications must be submitted within 90 days of the disaster being declared eligible
  • Applications cannot be processed without your signature
  1. Complete the appropriate application:
  2. Submit to Emergency Management BC:
    • E-mail:
    • Fax: 250-952-5542
    • Mail: DFA / PO Box 9201 Stn Prov Govt / Victoria B.C. V8W 9J1

Repairs can begin before your application is approved. Damage can be assessed both before and after it has been repaired. For repairs done before being assessed by our evaluator, we recommend taking photos or videos of the damage and keep all related receipts.

Making a determination

  1. You'll be contacted to discuss your application and damages, and if applicable, request additional documentation to confirm category eligibility.
  2. Once category eligibility has been determined, your file may be assigned to an evaluator who will contact you to assess the damage.
  3. Once a complete file review has been performed, a decision letter will be sent regarding your eligibility for funding.   
  4. If funding is approved, a cheque will be sent to your mailing address. You'll also receive a payment letter by mail or email.


Was this helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Related Blog Posts

Receive regular updates, discounts, study guides and more

By clicking “Subscribe”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy policy. We’ll occasionally send you promo and account related emails.